and happy Tuesday! Now that Thanksgiving is officially over, let’s get ready for Christmas! I am going to bring holiday related posts, outfit ideas, makeup tutorials and DIYs this month! I might even throw a couple gift guides in between! But today’s post is brought to you by Prescribe Nutrition, an amazing resource for everything food, lifestyle and diet related. Katie and Megan, are both nutritionists, and today, they are here on BeingZhenya.com with a post, that will help you get that holiday glow!
‘Tis the season for all things celebratory. Are you ready? A house full of hungry family & friends for parties galore, kids running wild, cookie exchanges, oh and shopping, shopping and more shopping?! Yep, it’s that time. Time to turn up the volume on life. Life and stress starts to hits a high note this time of year – pants get a little snug and the idea of a New Year’s resolution comes creeping back in. If you are like many, you really wish a “resolution” (yeah, were are talking about the ones that involve the scale) never had to be made. What if you could make it through the holidays with a completely new perspective? Glowing instead of full of regret?
Envision this: You attend and host parties where you feel awesome about what you bring (and eat.) You are armed and dangerous with tips, tools and tricks to navigate stress and the impact it has on you, your energy and your ability to withstand the temptations of unreasonably large cookie platters. You look back on January 1st and your “resolutions” are void of weight loss goals and instead are full of ways to be a better person, practice more self care and save money for that trip you’ve always wanted to take. Now THOSE are some resolutions!
At Prescribe Nutrition we asked what our participants wanted, where they could use support and how they’d like it delivered, and then wham, the Holiday Disaster Prevention Program was written. Practical (and fun) tips to navigate the holidays. So here’s a sneak peak in how we plan to tackle these guys feeling and looking our absolute best.
Step 1 - Fuel up: Yep, you heard it right. The tanks need to be full. Full of fuel, the good kind. If you fill up you are far less likely to hover around the cheese and cracker platter all night. You’ve been there, WE’VE been there. ”Tonight’s Jen’s party and so I’m going to eat really light today…” Well, you know how this story goes. A day filled with coffee and only a snack or two, and then bam, you show up famished, grab a glass of champagne and the next thing you know, three hours have passed and you’ve saddled up real close to the cheese platter, the headache has set in, and you want nothing more then a pair of sweatpants and your couch. We think the party should be more about the company than anything. Time to connect, laugh and really celebrate.
Remember – going to a party hungry, we’ll that’s just silly. Have a pre-party mini meal. In your head you think “Why would I eat before I’m going to eat.” But then history reminds you, “This will be far less food/calories/sugar then if I over indulge in Fritos and dip because I was starving.” Smart call.
Step 2 - Get Glowing: Some of our favorite nutrition and at home tips to get glowing.
- One of the best ways to get your glow on in the peak of winter is to cram in a ton of antioxidants. Easiest way to do this? Have a green smoothie packed with nutritious goodness. Smoothies are a delicious, quick and easy way to add more of those powerful greens to your day. Commit to having one a day everyday for at least one week before your big events.
- Cut back on sugar. In fact, if you really want to glow, get red of it all together! Sugar is one of, if not the bigggest causes of inflammation – contributing to everything from acne to ruddy skin to weght loss resistance. Kiss it goodbye and notice the difference within just a few days.
- Baking soda. Baking soda? You bet – use a dab on your toothbrush to whiten your teeth, to exfoliate your skin, even as dry shampoo. Check out all it’s virtues here.
- Oil pulling. Never heard of it? It’s.the.best. We promise. From whiter teeth to clearer skin to lower PMS, we swear by it. More on that here.
- Speaking of oil…oil is pretty much your best friend during winter, well, the good kinds at least! We love utilizing an oil cleanser for our face, our favorites being a blend of castor, grapeseed, avocado and sesame oil. Learn more in our blog post on oil cleansing.
You feel a little better prepped already? Just the idea that there are ways come out on the “other side” still intact. At Prescribe Nutrition that was our whole goal in building the Holiday Disaster Prevention Program.
As Being Zhenya readers you are invited for a special 20% discount. Just use the code: BZ20 and grab your seat as the PN team holds your hand through the holidayr! Get ready to have some fun. Hey, we can’t wait.
Enjoy recipes like the one below during the Holiday Disaster Prevention program. Hope to see you on the discussion boards!
MEDITERREAN LENTILS WITH MINT PESTO
4 side servings 2 main servings
1 cup fresh mint leaves
½ jalapeno pepper, seeded (quarter if you like less spice)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey or Grade B maple syrup
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
12 brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and quartered
1 small red onion
1 small shallot
2 cups cooked lentils (we love the pre-cooked ones at Trader Joes!)
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 dates, pitted finely chopped
1 small avocado, pitted and diced large
Zest of 1 small lemon
- Using a food processor or blender, pulse the mint, jalapeno, olive oil, lemon juice, honey/syrup, salt and cumin until just combined. You can add more spice, salt or sweet to your taste.
- In a large pan that has a lid, heat the coconut oil or ghee over medium heat and add in the brussels in a single layer (don’t let your pan get too hot or you’ll burn the brussels and they’ll be undercooked in center). Sprinkle with salt, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover and give a good stir, add in the shallot and red onion, then cover again and cook for another 2 minutes. Uncover and crank the heat to high and cook until the brussels are a nice caramelized brown.
- Add the lentils, almonds and dates into the skillet, stirring until the lentils are heated through. Remove from heat and distribute the lentil stir fry onto plates or bowl. Top each serving with avocado and lemon zest to taste. Now pretend you’re on a Mediterranean vacation.
I hope you find these tips helpful! What’s your advice on getting/maintaining the holiday glow?