Saturday I had my first experience getting my hair done at the Aveda school. It’s located in North East Minneapolis, right behind St. Anthony Main. And they have not one, but TWO parking lots!
I kind of knew what I was getting myself into. Back when I lived in New York, the woman I worked for used to get her hair done at Aveda school, it was super cheap, but took forever.
It’s also been forever since my last hair cut in September:
So 9 am there I was at the Aveda school. Here is how it all works:
You call a number and make an appointment.
On the day when you are supposed to go you show up there wait in line.
You will also sign a waiver saying you realize that your hair is going to be treated by students.
If you’ve signed up for any sort of color services, they do a skin test behind your ear.
Then you simply sit there and wait for your name to be called.
I loved my long hair though, and definitely didn’t want to lose more than 1 inch! I was also getting highlights. Sam has been asking me to go blond for a long time now. And I finally gave in.
So when I came home looking like this:
… he said I wasn’t his wife
So what are the pros and cons of getting your hair done by a student?
1. The price: It’s cheap, I only paid $46 for the cut, a blowout and partial foils.
2. They are very attentive. I loved the lady who did my hair, she was an older woman from Vietnam, and told me stories from when she just moved to the States in the 80′s. Plus I got a back rub and a hand massage!
1. It takes forever, there is some paperwork they need to fill out, and show the teachers. I was in the chair for 4 hours, during which about an hour was just sitting around, and my husband kept wondering why it was taking so long!
2. You never know who you are going to get. There are a lot of students, and it’s a cat in the bag for them and for you.
3. They are kind of pushy when it comes to Aveda products. I’ve used Aveda before and it’s really not all that natural as they make it sound. Just make sure to say no, when you need to!
In the end, I was happy with my cut and color. One of the teachers came and fixed my hair, because apparently it was longer on one side, but overall I had a pretty enjoyable experience and will definitely consider going back there!
Hope you all had a great weekend! It sure snowed here a lot!