DIY Friday: Decorating a Tote Bag

Back in October, I went to a staff development day for work. It was one giant teacher conference, with a lot of classes to take, and of course a free goody bag! Unfortunately the bag had this on it:


Just in case you have trouble figuring out the writing, it says – Igniting your awesome! I think it’s an absolutely amazing inspirational quote, but not when it looks so sad and washed out :/

I took some nail polish remover (ACETONE is your best friend here!) to get rid of most of the writing.


Then I got some fabric for the new applique to go over the writing! This came off of an old T-shirt I freecycled a while back, and it’s just been sitting in my closet, waiting for it’s moment! And well, it finally came!


I was debating which piece to use for my refashion and whether to do both front and back, or just front, and finally decided on this:


The brown lace trim came off of the same shirt that I cut up last week for my wall art DIY πŸ™‚

The next step was the longest and probably the most painful one, because I pricked my finger with a needle a few times! But I hand sewn it all together! And the result was just amazing!


Yes, it is Monopoly Star Wars edition sticking out of my newly refashioned bag!


I hope every single one of you had a blessed Thanksgiving! And a successful Black Friday!



PS. Don’t forget to like my FB page and follow me on Twitter!


DIY Crochet Color Block Tote: Part 1

Why a 2 parter? Well, I just can’t crochet fast enough.

Why a color block tote? Because it’s perfect for people like me who get their yarn off of or at thrift store (YES ALL YARN/FABRIC I USE IN MY PROJECTS IS RECYCLED – THATS HOW I KEEP MY HOBBIES AT A LOW PRICE) Β and there is never enough of it to make something a solid one color. So since color blocking is a huge hit this year, I thought why not make a tote. Plus I had the handles for it too (bought them back in February πŸ˜‰ – I know it takes me a while)

So when color blocking when crocheting it’s important to decide on your colors first. I went with some that coordinated with my sweaters from Old Navy. Remember this post? Yup, those sweaters πŸ™‚ Also ignore the fact that it looks like I’ve already made something out of red yarn, I didn’t, that all was going to become undone. Back in December I crocheted some Christmas stockings and this was a trial one, turned out to be too big, and is now being turned into a bag πŸ™‚

Once you’ve decided on your colors, you are going to decide on the pattern. I simply drew mine, and since both sides were going to have a different pattern, it ended up looking like this:

You can also tell I totally misspelt SIDE πŸ™‚ hehe – English is not my first language after all πŸ™‚ But no worries, I corrected it later. So I hope my drawing is pretty self explanatory, the numbers on the sides are the numbers of rows, and the colors are written in each section.

Now this is how far I’ve got. I really hope to be done this week, so I don’t have to make you wait to see the finished product until next week.


I promis that very very soon this baby will be completed with it’s own lining, an inside pocket or two and handles. Stay tuned for Part 2, especially if you want to see what the other side looks like πŸ˜‰