There is still a lot of misunderstanding and confusion when it comes to Google Plus. That’s why I created this guide.
I struggled with Google Plus for a while. And even though it may not be your social media network of choice, I hope it will become in the top 3 after reading this post. Besides I will always prefer Google + over Facebook.
One of my Twitter friends Michael shared this helpful tip: “My strategy is all about adding circles upon circles. It’s not like Twitter where there’s a followers/following ratio which is great. Find people within your niche and add the hell out of them. Then create the same content that’s successful on your other platforms.”
- Start with creating your profile. Make sure to add your best picture, just like on your other Social Media networks. Choose a header that represents you/your brand or your blog. Google does offer a few really nice images, but creating your own will always make you stand out. (That’s something I need to work on).
- Add people to the circles. These are some of my circles: Fashion Bloggers and Contacts, Beauty Bloggers and Contacts, Social Media/Creative. I hope that gives you the idea. Once you start adding people to these circles, Google + will automatically suggest more people you can add. And of course don’t forget to add your contacts, friends and family.
- Join communities. That’s as easy as 1-2-3. Most communities are open, but some do require approval. So far I’ve always gotten accepted, so you should too. Some of the communities I am a part of: Blogging, Independent Fashion Bloggers, Budget Beauty’s, Minneapolis-St.Paul, etc.
- What’s Hot: Just like Twitter shows you what’s trending, Google + shows you what’s hot, you can see the most popular posts, hashtags, etc. (You will find it under the Explore tab)
- Google + on your phone: The app is pretty fantastic, I’ll be honest with you! I use it all the time. Try it!
- Hangout: It’s pretty fantastic, easy to set up, and a great alternative to Skype.
- +1: Don’t be shy and show some love to the posts in your feed, comment, it’s all about interaction after all!
I am not going to go into details about customization, editing posts, adding photos, links, etc. This is more to get you started. Feel free to comment with any questions, or concerns that you may have. And feel free to follow me on Google +.
Another tip if you are on Klout: It highly takes Google+ into consideration for it’s score. You can gain 10+ Klout points just by being active on Google+.